Tuesday, April 13, 2010

An Easter Doodle and What I'm Currently Reading


Above is a doodle I did to try and explain to my Japanese students why Easter is a holiday. They just looked blankly at me and when I finished explaining that this is what Christians believe one student raised their hand and asked, "Is it a true story?" 


I never had to answer this from the point of view of a skeptic before, and I just started laughing out loud. The students all looked around and smiled. Meanwhile, as I tried to get a hold of myself, I did a pantomime Superman impression, and began to laugh even harder.  I just couldn't help myself.


It was just that I hadn't seen the Easter tradition as ridiculous until now, and eventually the home room teacher had to change the subject to why we dye Easter eggs, and I told the story of Mary Magdalene's meeting with the Emperor of Rome, Emperor Tiberius, and how she quelled his skepticism with the whole white egg turning blood red miracle she performed in front of him to prove that Jesus was resurrected. By that time I think they had all figured out that it was all fictitious on their own.


I'm currently reading all of these books. Let me know if you want any reviews or recommendations. I'll try and push through them in the next two months as time allows.





Advocatus Atheist

Advocatus Atheist