My Bucket List

It's a dark and morbid idiom--the bucket list. To "kick-the-bucket" literally means to die, so the infamous "bucket-list" is a list of things one wants to see, do, or accomplish before they "kick-the-bucket" and are gone for good.


In other words, it's a colloquial way of saying I have certain *goals I want to accomplish before I go. Here are mine, in no particular order.


1. Write 50 novels and/or nonfiction books.
2. Sell the movie rights to at least one of my novels.
3. Pay for my daughter's education up through college (no exceptions)
4. Build the Battlestar Galactica out of Legos.
5. Write an episode of Dr. Who which actually gets made (even though I am an American)
6. Do a Halo jump (because bungee jumping is for kidz).
7. Kiss or get kissed by Karen Gillan (Amy Pond from Dr. Who)
8. Help my wife kiss or get kissed by Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester from Supernatural)
9. Write a teleplay for an ongoing hit TV series.
10. Take a vacation with my family to Italy and Spain.
11. Visit the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva.
12. Ride a dolphin


There are more things I'd really like to accomplish in life besides, well, you know, the above--but these are just the ones which would help me feel that I accomplished something in my life. Notice that most of them are purely selfish and in no way help anybody else. Except for, you know paying for my daughters education.

Maybe entertaining people with my writing is a good in and of itself. Putting a smile on peoples faces--may be one small good I can contribute during my time here, especially since I won't likely be finding the cure for cancer or anything like that.

Also, I kept my list practical. I want to be able to do these things. Having unrealistic goals merely means you will be disappointing by the fact that you set yourself up for an inevitable failure. People who say they want to visit all the countries in the world... well good luck to them if they really want to do that. But it's much more practical to pick your favorite countries and try to get there before tackling the whole planet.

Of course, the bucket list can change as my priorities change. We will see. So what's your bucket list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conflating Atheism and Agnosticism is a Mistake

Discussing the Historicity of Jesus with a Christian Agnostic