Proof I have Free Will



Mike over at the A-Unicornist tackles Free Will, and the recent debates regarding whether or not we have it. If you want to learn about the types of free will and whether free will is an illusion or not, I recommend you check how his article.

I have a loftier goal however. I am going to prove, here and now, that I HAVE free will and that, no, it is not an illusion.

How do I know that I have free-will?

Consider this.

If I so chose to shed my clothes, cram my toothbrush up my bum, use a can of Miracle Whip to make a whip-cream bra, and then ran down mainstreet screaming at the top of my lungs, "I am Keyser Söze!" then that would be an act of free will.

How do I know this?

Because there is nothing in the model of reality which predetermines such a choice, unless of course I had no control over my mind, in which case I would be certifiably insane.

The very fact that I chose not to do this act, confirms, that I have free will.

So you see, free will exists. At least for me. I wouldn't know about you. But if I see you running down the street with strange things crammed up your anus shouting lines to obscure cult films, I would surmise you either lacked free will or were in the middle of a mental breakdown.


Wait a minute...

Having free will being indistinguishable from insanity, we run into a hurdle, since there is no way to tell the difference between a wild act made by one's own volition or an insane act which was the arbitrary consequence of uncontrollable choices. Which means we must all assume people who appear to be enacting free will are actually not.



In which case, there is no such thing as free will. 


Oops.

Unless, of course, there is. But how would we know?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conflating Atheism and Agnosticism is a Mistake

Discussing the Historicity of Jesus with a Christian Agnostic